Key Points
- Calum Miller, MP for Bicester and Woodstock, raised concerns in Parliament about youth provision in Bicester.
- He warned that young people are being left behind in one of England’s fastest-growing towns.
- The Government announced in December 2025 over £500 million of investment for youth services across England as part of the first National Youth Strategy in 15 years.
- Bicester currently has no dedicated youth hub despite its growing population.
- The former Courtyard Youth Arts Centre in Bicester town centre is largely unused but could be repurposed for youth services.
- The Courtyard originally provided performance spaces, rehearsal studios, arts rooms, and café facilities, supported by Lottery funding.
- Mr Miller asked the Secretary of State to prioritise funding for towns like Bicester, where existing public assets could be reused cost-effectively.
- Pat McFadden, Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, acknowledged the representations and said the Government will consider local needs.
- The MP and local councillors received public support for the proposal to reopen the facility as a youth hub.
- Local residents shared memories and positive experiences of the former youth arts centre, highlighting community value
Bicester (Oxford Daily) February 02, 2026, Calum Miller, MP for Bicester and Woodstock, has called for urgent youth funding in Bicester, warning that young people are being “left behind” in the fast-growing town. Speaking in Parliament last week, Mr Miller highlighted that, despite government investment of over £500 million as part of the first National Youth Strategy in 15 years, Bicester lacks a dedicated youth hub.
The former Courtyard Youth Arts Centre in the town centre, which remains largely configured for office use, was identified by Mr Miller as a potential solution to address the shortage of youth provision. Originally, the Courtyard was a joint venture between Oxfordshire County Council and Cherwell District Council, offering performance spaces, rehearsal studios for theatre and dance, individual arts rooms for painting, sculpture, and photography, and café facilities, supported by Lottery funding.
Why does Calum Miller believe young people are being left behind in Bicester?
As reported by the Oxford Mail, Mr Miller emphasised that Bicester is one of the fastest-growing towns in England but lacks adequate youth facilities. He said: “Bicester is growing fast, but young people are being left behind. A former youth arts centre in the town centre now sits largely unused, despite being publicly-owned and ready to go.”
Mr Miller’s concern is that the town’s youth population could miss out on educational, recreational, and social development opportunities unless a dedicated youth hub is established. He highlighted that Bicester Village and other commercial developments generate employment and growth, but youth facilities have not kept pace with population expansion.
What role could the former Courtyard Youth Arts Centre play in supporting local youth?
The Courtyard Youth Arts Centre, according to local reports, was initially designed to offer comprehensive support to young people through arts and performance programmes. It provided spaces for music, theatre, dance, painting, sculpture, photography, and social interaction through its café and communal areas.
Mr Miller proposed that the Courtyard be repurposed to house a modern youth hub, utilising existing infrastructure for maximum cost efficiency. He asked in Parliament: “Does the Secretary of State agree with me that the funding announced in December for youth hubs should prioritise places like Bicester, where existing public assets can be better used to deliver youth services at high value for money for the taxpayer?”
How did the Government respond to calls for youth funding in Bicester?
Pat McFadden, Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, responded to Mr Miller’s question in Parliament. As reported by the Oxford Mail, he said: “I am aware of the employment and growth generated by Bicester Village as a major retail and visitor location, and I understand his representations about having a youth hub that may be associated with that. We will look at all representations, because, as I said, we want to get the help to where people are in the local community.”
This statement signalled that the Government is considering localised needs and may prioritise towns such as Bicester in allocating National Youth Strategy funds.What support has Mr Miller received from local representatives and the public?
Mr Miller’s calls have garnered support from local officials and residents. Lib Dem councillor Nick Cotter expressed agreement, saying: “I concur.” Community members also shared personal memories of the Courtyard, highlighting its previous value in providing youth opportunities.
Liz Yardley commented: “About time this incredible facility was restored to its original purpose.” Meanwhile, Richard Johnson recounted: “I was involved with the Courtyard Youth Club in the early ’60s. Always well supported by many groups for music, table tennis, pool, motorbike maintenance, and some coach outings. Some great people and memories there. Re-open it.”
What are the wider objectives of the National Youth Strategy 2025?
The National Youth Strategy, announced by the Government in December 2025, aims to invest over £500 million into youth provision across England. It is the first comprehensive strategy in 15 years and is designed to improve education, skills development, health, and social opportunities for young people.
Mr Miller’s advocacy focuses on ensuring that towns like Bicester, which already have partially developed public infrastructure, are included in the funding strategy to deliver maximum benefit efficiently.
Why is repurposing existing public assets for youth hubs important?
Repurposing unused or underutilised public facilities, such as the Courtyard Youth Arts Centre, represents a cost-effective way to enhance youth services. As Mr Miller highlighted, Bicester has an existing building capable of providing high-quality youth programmes with minimal investment compared to constructing a new facility from scratch.
Local residents’ support demonstrates community demand for such initiatives. Utilizing existing infrastructure could enable rapid deployment of programmes for music, arts, sports, and personal development, aligning with the Government’s National Youth Strategy objectives.
What impact could a new youth hub have on Bicester?
Reopening the Courtyard as a youth hub could deliver multiple benefits:
- Improved access to arts, culture, and recreational activities for teenagers.
- Development of social skills and community engagement.
- Opportunities for creative and sporting excellence.
- Safe and supervised spaces for young people to interact.
- Enhanced support networks for vulnerable youth.
Community engagement, as emphasised by the Oxford Mail, is critical for ensuring that the hub is tailored to local needs and maximises the positive impact on young people.
How are residents voicing their support for youth funding initiatives?
Public reaction to the proposal has been overwhelmingly supportive. Many locals have shared memories of participating in programmes at the Courtyard, demonstrating the historical and ongoing value of youth arts centres. Social media has amplified community voices, helping to pressure policymakers to act.
What are the next steps for implementing youth funding in Bicester?
Thames Valley and Oxfordshire authorities, along with the Government, are expected to review representations from Mr Miller and the community. A key factor will be whether funding can be allocated to repurpose the Courtyard efficiently, ensuring rapid deployment of youth services aligned with national objectives.
Mr. Miller’s ongoing advocacy, combined with local support, increases the likelihood that Bicester may soon see a revival of its youth provision through the Courtyard Youth Arts Centre.
The call by Calum Miller, MP for Bicester and Woodstock, highlights a critical gap in youth services within one of England’s fastest-growing towns. By repurposing the former Courtyard Youth Arts Centre and targeting National Youth Strategy funds, Bicester has the potential to offer enhanced opportunities for young people, ensuring they are not left behind in the town’s rapid development. Public support, combined with government engagement, could transform the community landscape and restore a historic facility to its original purpose.